If you have had a “meandering dream” to start a business, this is the question that has likely stopped you in your tracks more than once.
While I loved the dreaming part, and the anticipation of living my dream, my rose colored glasses protected me from thinking too much about the distance I’d have to travel from one to the other. Perhaps you can you relate.
I am a reader and so my first tentative steps had me checking Amazon for books on starting a home-based Graphic Design Business. I found the perfect book, written by Jim Smith with Lisa Polce. (A link to the book is provided below.) It turned out to be an excellent resource for me. The questions it poses apply to any entrepreneurial business, so I list them here as a place to begin. While there may be common threads that weave through the answers most entrepreneurs give, your answers will be uniquely your own, proclaiming your strengths and suggesting the areas you may not be too sure about.
- Why do you want to start a business?
- What is your personality?
- Can you work independently?
- Are you organized and detail oriented?
- Can you prioritize and multi-task?
- Can you work hard without someone looking over your shoulder?
- Do you have what it takes to talk to people, network and sell yourself and your business?
- Are you passionate about what you do?
- What is your customer service level?
This list of questions increased my excitement—and also provided my first glimpse into the journey I was about to embark on.
Up Next: Committing to a Plan
Link to: How to Start a Home-based Graphic Design Business